Cancer, Disease, Chronic Illnesses….what if many of these could be prevented by simply getting enough Vitamin D? Sound to simple? Check out this article below and make sure you read the research at the bottom.
Personally I know that my Vitamin D levels were “in the toilet” (quote from my Oncologist) when I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer and I had very few other known risk factors. Since my diagnosis in 2011 I have met dozens, maybe even hundreds, of other individuals who also have been diagnosed with cancer and the large majority of them also had very low Vitamin D levels at diagnosis.
I believe everyone should have their Vitamin D levels checked yearly during a routine physical since simply supplementing this vitamin if you are not getting enough could save your health (and a lot of money) down the road.
- Sunshine is the best way to get enough vitamin D-3.
- For people in a subtropical region, as little as 5-10 minutes of direct sun on the arms or legs several times a week would enable the body to get the recommended adequate amount of vitamin D.
- In the winter and fall of cooler regions (like Seattle or Boston or Upstate New York where I grew up), the sun’s UV rays are too weak to make vitamin D. This means that a dietary source or supplement is needed.
- The human liver stores vitamin D-3 so if you get plenty of sun in the summer, this can help meet the body’s needs in the late fall and winter months.
- Avoid getting a sunburn — you need only a modest amount of sun. That’s enough to maintain a light tan. People who tan darker have less risk of skin cancer but require more sunlight to make enough vitamin D than someone who has light skin and tans poorly.
- There is growing concern that synthetic vitamin D-2, found in milk and other fortified foods, may have less vitamin D activity and may also be more toxic than natural vitamin D-3. Synthetic vitamin D-2 is an acceptable source if sunlight is not possible, but it is not preferred. Choose a D-3 supplement over D-2.
Read this article to see what D3 supplement may be right for you if you are unable to get enough Vitamin D from the sun or foods that you are eating.
List of the Best Vitamin D Supplements for 2014.
We all want good health and less cancer and disease. Lets be proactive and prevent illness before it starts rather than dealing with it after the diagnosis.
Choosing healthy living over dying 🙂