Santa wants to be Ho Ho Happy this year and not die of Heart Disease, Diabetes or a host of other medical problems from eating unhealthy and being overweight. So I made him some raw energy bar cookies 🙂
This recipe is adapted from a recipe by Karielyn at www.thehealthyfamilyandhome.com. She has lots of wonderful recipes and great information about the health benefits of the ingredients. This is what she offers on the main ingredients in these bars.
5 Fast Facts About Hemp Seeds:
- healthy inflammatory 3:1 ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 fat
- contains 10 essential amino acids
- contains 11 g of raw vegan protein
- helps to reduce blood cholesterol
- natural appetite suppressant
5 Fast Facts About Chia Seeds:
- excellent source of healthy omega fatty acids
- contains easily digestible protein
- has more antioxidants that flax seeds or blueberries
- excellent source of dietary fiber at 6 g
- contains 500% more calcium than milk
5 Fast Facts About Flaxseeds:
- high in omega-3 essential acids
- contains soluble and insoluble fiber
- super high in lignans
- provides anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits
- provides cardiovascular benefits
5 Fast Facts About Oats:
- provides excellent source of fiber
- helps control blood sugar levels
- can reduce hypertension and high blood pressure
- increases appetite control hormones
- helps to lower bad cholesterol
5 Fast Facts About Almonds:
- regulates cholesterol and blood pressure
- energy booster
- loaded with protein, calcium and fiber
- high in antioxidants
- reduces the risk of heart disease
5 Fast Facts About Raw Honey:
- anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties
- contains immune boosting anti-viral properties
- contains natural anti-oxidants that block free-radicals
- promotes restorative sleep
- super high in B vitamins: B1, B2, B3, B5 & B6
5 Fast Facts About Coconut Oil:
- super high in lauric acid
- rich in anti-oxidants
- contains natural microbial and anti-bacterial agents
- improves metabolism and helps to prevent fatigue
- can help improve cholesterol
And now on to the recipe….
3 1/2 cups oats (you can buy gluten-free)
1/2 cup hemp seeds
1/2 cup chia seeds
1/4 cup flax seeds
1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
3/4 cup raw almonds
1/2 cup raw honey
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
3/4 cup almond butter
1/2 cup coconut oil (melted)
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Grind flax seeds in coffee grinder. Chop almonds in food processor. Mix the oats, hemp seeds, chia seeds, flax seeds, almonds, coconut, and sesame seeds in a large bowl.
In a medium bowl combine the honey, applesauce, almond butter, vanilla, and melted coconut oil.
Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
Press into an 8×11 pan and refrigerate for a couple of hours until firm.
Cut into bars and keep refrigerated.
Choosing healthy living over dying 🙂
HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE!