It’s Friday again, and in my house that means Friday night High School football. With football season underway and school in full swing, I start craving more fall foods. For some reason this week I have been dreaming of my pumpkin soup (see my old post), pumpkin chickpea fritters, pumpkin smoothies, roasted pumpkin seeds, pumpkin raisin bars, pumpkin apple salad with walnuts……you get the idea….fall pumpkins.
Pumpkins are more than just good tasting in recipes. They have potassium (which is great for cardiovascular health), Vitamin A (which supports eye health), lutein (which helps prevent cataracts), and they aid in weight loss (low in calories and moderate in fiber).
Pumpkin Pie Smoothie Recipe (reblogged from ohsheglows.com)
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 tbsp blackstrap molasses
- 1 frozen ripe banana
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1.5-2 tbsp pure maple syrup
1. In a medium-sized bowl whisk together the milk, oats, and chia seeds. Place in fridge for 1 hour or preferably overnight.
2. Add soaked oat mixture to blender along with the pumpkin, molasses, frozen banana, and spices. Blend until smooth. Add about 5 ice cubes and blend until ice-cold.
3. Add maple syrup to taste.
4. Serve with non dairy Coconut Whipped Cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon on top!
Enjoy life this fall with more pumpkin recipes.
Choosing healthy living over dying 🙂