I love macaroni salad but don’t eat mayonnaise or a lot of pasta (and only wheat when I do), but this is a quick and easy recipe that you can adjust and make your own without compromising or adding dairy or eggs. I tweek recipes like this when I find them and use wheat pasta and add more veggies to it to get more healthy vitamins and nutrients. This is the original recipe and picture. Mine would have more green and red to it 🙂 and darker pasta.
- 12 ounces Ditalini pasta or elbow macaroni. (I use whole wheat pasta)
- 1 1/2 tomato, chopped (or try cherry and grape tomatoes sliced in half)
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups Vegenaise (or other vegan mayo)
- 3 Tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 3 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 2 1/4 teaspoons sea salt, or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon celery seeds
In a large bowl combine the pasta, tomato, peas, and onion. In a smaller bowl whisk together the mayo, vinegar, mustard, salt, pepper, and celery seeds. Fold the mayo mixture into the pasta.
Try adding asparagus tips, some chopped spinach, red or yellow pepper, celery, or even avocado…..make it your own favorite salad at the family picnic.
Choosing healthy living over dying 🙂