1. Waste cooking oil – Many cosmetic companies will use oil from food restaurants and cafes.
2. Oleoresin Capsicum – Better known as “pepper spray” known for being painful and causing temporary blindness when in contact with the eyes. If your lip gloss has a “tingly” feeling, it has OC in it.
3. Chicken bone marrow – This is one of the many animal parts used in cosmetics. Commonly used in moisturizers and face creams.
4. Fish scales – That cosmetic with a nice “shimmer” to it….fish scales!
5. Cochineal dye – This is anything with a red hue and it comes from cochineal beetles. The bugs are drowned in hot water, dried and ground into a powder. They are also used in red gelatin, juices, and candies….gross!
6. Bull semen – Sound surprising? This is nothing new, it has been a long-time tradition to use cod sperm in cosmetics but recently companies are using bull semen which supposedly gives your hair a brilliant sheen.
7. Human foreskin – Mostly used in cosmetics that claim to reduce wrinkles.
8. Ambergris – This is a substance found in the digestive system of sperm whales…basically bile or whale-by-product.
9. Urea – This chief waste product from humans and animals is used in antiperspirants, moisturizers, mouthwashes, deodorants and shampoos.
10. Human placenta – Apparently cosmetics that use the hormones extracted from human placenta are effective in removing wrinkles. I think I will keep my beautiful lines 🙂
There are many companies out there using natural ingredients and none of the 10 listed above or other harmful chemicals. Check out the Environmental Working Groups website if you want to see how your cosmetics rate and what may be a better product for you. http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/
Pay attention to what you are slathering on your body and face next time.
Choosing healthy living over dying 🙂