I walk! I like to walk. It gets me out of the house and away from my computer, laundry, dishes, and all other stressors. I feel great when I finish walking and sluggish if I go a day without walking. A lot of people who live around me bike and run, but I like walking because I can talk the whole way with my walking buddy neighbor 🙂 A few days ago we even did our walk in the rain. It was actually fun and invigorating.
Walking is a gentle, low-impact exercise that can ease you into a higher level of fitness and health. Walking is a form of exercise accessible to just about everybody. It’s safe, simple and doesn’t require practice. And the health benefits are many.
Top 10 reasons to start walking
1. Walkers Live Longer (and who doesn’t want that?) The Honolulu Heart Study of 8000 men found that walking just two miles a day cut the risk of death almost in half.
2. Walking Helps Prevent Weight Gain If you add just 2000 more steps a day to your regular activities, you may never gain another pound.
3. Walking Reduces the Risk of Cancer Study after study has shown that walking and exercise reduces your risk of breast cancer and colon cancer. Walking is also good for those undergoing cancer treatment, improving their chances of recovery and survival. For breast cancer just 30 minutes 3 days a week may reduce your risk by 30% and 5 days a week for an hour by 50%! Hell yes…I’m walking!
4. Walking Reduces Risk of Heart Disease and Stroke Heart disease and stroke are among the top killers of both men and women. You can cut your risk of both in half by walking for 30-60 minutes a day. Get your blood moving!
5. Walking Reduces Diabetes Risk Get out and walk for 30 minutes a day as your minimum daily requirement for health and to prevent Type 2 diabetes. A study by the Graduate School of Public Health, University of Pittsburgh, discovered that walking for 30 minutes a day cut diabetes risks for overweight as well as non-overweight men and women. Walking also helps maintain blood sugar balance for those with diabetes.
6. You Can Walk Off Weight Exercise such as walking is an important part of any weight loss program. You must still watch how much you eat in order to lose weight. But walking helps you build healthy lean muscle, lose inches of fat, and pump up your metabolism. Of long-term successful weight losers, almost all maintain a program of walking or other exercise.
7. Walking Boosts Your Brain Power A study of people over 60 funded by the National Council on Aging, found that walking 45 minutes a day at 16-minute mile pace increased the thinking skills of those over 60.
8. Walking Improves Mood and Relieves Stress Walking and other exercise leads to the release of the body’s natural happy drugs – endorphins. Most people notice an improvement in mood.
9. Walking Can Prevent Erectile Dysfunction What better reason for men to take a brisk two-mile walk each day – a reduced risk of impotence from mid-life onward.
10. It’s Easy To Get Started Walking All you need is a pair of comfortable shoes and to get yourself out the door. You can reap the benefits of walking from doing several shorter walks or one longer walk during the day.
Start making time to walk, even if it is just 5 to 10 minutes a day. You will be surprised how good it feels. Try to work up to 1 hour of brisk walking a day. Grab a friend, neighbor, spouse, or your dog and just get outside and walk. Be sure to breath in the fresh air, enjoy your surroundings and be thankful for another day on this planet.
-Kristen (and my great walking buddy Kelly)
Choosing healthy living over dying 🙂